*NEW* Laminated IPS screen for the Game Boy Advance (GBA) - 3.0 inch FunnyPlaying
No soldering required!
Install this backlit IPS screen with pre-installed laminated glass lens. The laminated panel means no dust and a more realistic display effect.
Screen is plug and play with a no solder option. (See notes below)
These screens can only be used with a laminated GBA shell.
Compatible with both 32 pin and 40 pin GBA motherboards.
Installation Instructions (note that this version of the screen ships with an updated bracket that does not require a foam pad.
- OSD feature menu - See image - 4 different menus for brightness, colour, display movement and frames.
- No dust under the pre laminated lens.
- At the lowest brightness the kit power consumption is 0.14w
- Mixed frame switch
- Brightness adjustment by touch near the logo position
What is included;
- 1 x laminated IPS LCD
- 1 x ribbon cable
- 1 x laminated bracket (updated version Jan 2023)
- 3 x wires for OSD features
Whats not included;
- 1 x laminated GBA shell
- 1 x foam pad
1. The logo is the full Game Boy. The image shows just Game.
2. OSD menu is available with the soldering of 3 wires. It has 4 different functions - Brightness, Colour, Display and Frames. The IPS screen will still work without these functions if you choose not to solder the 3 wires.
3. Shell modification is required if you do not use a laminated ready moulded shell. We do not recommend this.
4. A seperate glass lens is not required, as the screen comes with a glass lens laminated to it.
5. Please bench test your screen kit for faults before installation. A photo or video will be required for potential warranty claims. Any issues are to be reported before installing inside a shell or adhering to a gasket. Replacements will not be made for installed kits. Screen only parts are available here should you need them
6. It is advisable to wear a static bracelet before installing the screen to avoid any potential shorts.
First time modding and installing this was simple and straight forward. Screen looks incredible and well worth the upgrade. Paired with the USB-C battery mod, it brings a new lease of life to the GBA.
Delivery was super quick, ordered Tuesday morning and had it delivered the following day. Everything I ordered along with it - new shell, buttons, USB-C battery kit - were all packaged securely. Test fitted the screen to ensure all OK as advised by RGP and all working fine. Super simple and installed in a matter of minutes. Will definitely be purchasing more parts from RGP for future projects.
The screen is clear and looks amazing. Well worth a purchase if you want a great looking upgrade.
What I discovered while installing is that the instructions on their(funnyplaying) site are a little out of date, as it shows you having to solder the wires as being the only way to adjust the screen, but there is a little flap at the bottom that allows you to do it via touch, I never soldered these cables and mine is working fine.
Commented recently about how I was missing a part on my order and almost instantly got a response helping me out
I’ve had a grubby old GBA sitting on my shelf for years now, and have never felt the desire to go back and play on it because of the poor screen (by today’s standards). So I decided to tackle my first ever GBA mod and bought the new laminated IPS screen.
First of all, the screen is gorgeous, and turns the device into a totally new console! It breathes new life into it that I didn’t think was possible, and it now becomes something I actually want to use on a regular basis! Paired with a flash cart, it becomes a great portable device that any lover of it back in it’s hay day will love.
This is the first ever mod I’ve done on a GBA, and the first one that involved any soldering (albeit optional, I did choose to solder the button control wires). I also paired this with a translucent laminated compatible shell, and all in all it was a very neat and easy mod to install! Everything fit together well, and even the soldering was nice and straight forward (3 optional wires).
Could not be happier, although I fear I have now been sucked into a modding black hole haha.